GroupMe is a mobile group messaging app that is owned by Microsoft. It is the most effective way to communicate with everyone you know. Whether you’re talking to a group of friends or texting with a single person, it’s completely free.
The best part is that it works on almost every phone, via push or SMS. It’s simple to contact anyone, at any time, from anywhere with it.
Overview of GroupMe
Jared Hecht and Steve Martocci founded GroupMe in the summer of 2010, inspired by a project conceived at the TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon.
GroupMe is now a proud member of the Skype family, thanks to an acquisition in August 2011.
Skype paid around $80 million for the one-year-old start-up in August 2011. Microsoft purchased Skype in May 2011, with the transaction completed in October 2011. In late 2012, the app was redesigned.
Groups were initially limited to 100 members, but a support request could raise a group’s limit as high as necessary as it approached the limit. GroupMe stopped offering group member limit increases in 2019, but the app raised the standard limit from 100 to 5000.
How to Use GroupMe
It works by first downloading the app or accessing the service online, then creating an account by entering your name, cell phone number, and password, or connecting through a Facebook or Twitter account.
The service then syncs with your contacts and the user can then create groups with a maximum of 500 members. An individual who is a member of an active group can disable app notifications; users will still receive the message but will not be notified about it. Each group is labeled and given a unique number. The app includes features such as the ability to share photos, videos, locations, create events, and emojis from various packs.
GroupMe offers a web client as well as iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and Windows 10 apps. Those who do not want to use the app can still send and receive GroupMe messages via SMS (only available in the United States).
Users start by creating a “group” and then adding contacts to it. Everyone in the group can see and respond to messages sent by others. Users can easily attach and send pictures, documents, videos, and web links using the app. Users can also send private messages to other users who are also using the GroupMe app.
GroupMe has been used to research the use of messaging apps in educational settings. Facilitating online course discussions, small group work, and other course communications for both in-person and online sections are examples of use cases. Using GroupMe to facilitate discussion in an environment where students already interact has been shown to encourage rhetorical thinking and overall engagement. Given a student population that communicates in a variety of modes, researchers have discovered alternatives for literacy learning as a “legitimate academic genre.” In an increasingly globalized society, research on GroupMe supports the argument that computer-mediated communication is a valuable space for learning.
GroupMe Mobile Login
To begin using this service, you must first sign up. If you don’t already have an account and want to create one, you have two options: download, install, and run the app on your phone, or register here via the app’s web client.
Follow the steps below to login
- First, get the app for Android, iPhone, Windows, or BlackBerry.
- After installing the app, launch it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create an account.
- You’ll be asked for basic information about yourself, such as your name, email address, and so on.
If you already have an account, simply enter your phone number or email address and password. You can also login with Facebook by simply clicking on the FB button that appears when you launch the app for the first time on your mobile device.
Login to GroupMe on a Computer
You can also send and receive text messages from your computer by using the app’s web client.
- Simply go to the site’s sign in page, which is located at https://groupme.com/signin.
- Fill out the first field of the access form, which is located on the left side of your screen, with your phone number or email address.
- In the second field, enter your GroupMe password.
- Now, simply click the green “Log In” button at the bottom, and you’re done!
With this version, you can also sign in using your Facebook login details. Click the blue “Login With Facebook” button on the right side of your screen.
How do I use my Apple ID to sign in to GroupMe?
You can create an account or sign in to GroupMe using your Apple ID.
- Launch GroupMe.
- At the sign in screen, choose Sign in with Apple.
- Select Sign up today, then Continue with Apple to create a new account using your Apple ID.
- If you’re using an iOS device, you’ll confirm your information and choose Continue.
- If you use the web to access GroupMe, you will be redirected to Apple to complete your login or account setup.
- Select whether you want to share your email address and then click Continue.
- If you do not share your email address, it will appear in GroupMe as @privaterelay.appleid.com. You can share your email address later in your profile.
- Create an account, then enter a password.
- Choose whether to use the current device’s phone number or to verify a different phone number.
Please keep in mind that you can only have one account associated with a mobile number. GroupMe app download
You can get the GroupMe app from the App Store for your iPhone or iPad, the Google Play Store for your Android phone or tablet, and the Microsoft Store for your Windows desktop.
The GroupMe support team assists you in getting verified quickly; And also assist with any other issue you may face while using GroupMe.
How do I recover my GroupMe account?
Follow these steps to recover your account
- I’ve forgotten my GroupMe password.
- Go to the Forgotten Password page.
- Enter your email address or phone number.
- Please follow the instructions after selecting Reset password.
How to get GroupMe on desktop
- In a web browser, navigate to https://groupme.com. Firefox and Chrome are two popular browsers.
- Click Get the App. It’s on the page’s left side. This will take you to the download page.
- Click GET. A new window will appear.
- Click the Open Microsoft Store button. This takes you to the Microsoft Store page.
- Click Get. This will install GroupMe on your computer.
- To open GroupMe, click the Launch button. The sign-in screen will be displayed.
GroupMe Software Installation Requirements
PC Compactibility/Installation Requirements
Compactible OS list:
- Windows 11
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
MacOS Installation Requirements
Intel, 64-bit processor, OS X 10.7 or later
Compactible OS list:
- OS X 10.10: Yosemite
- OS X 10.11: El Capitan
- MacOS 10.12: Sierra
- MacOS 10.13: High Sierra
- MacOS 10.14: Mojave8
- MacOS 10.15: Catalina
- MacOS Big Sur (MacOS 11)
GroupMe Mac app
GroupMe for Windows can be downloaded from GroupMe.com. While there is no GroupMe app for MacOS, you can access GroupMe from any platform using a web browser.
How to create a share link in GroupMe?
A share link is a simple way to invite people to your group. A share link can be sent via email, text message (SMS), Facebook, Twitter, and other methods. You must be the owner of the group in order to create a share link.
Choose the group with which you want to share.
On iOS and Windows 10:
- Click on the avatar of the group in the upper right corner.
- Go to Settings and turn on Make group shareable.
- Choose Share. On your screen, a list of shareable locations appears. Select the location where you want to share the link.
Android and Windows 8:
- Click the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Choose Share Group. A new window appears.
- Click Continue. A list of places to share appears. Select the location where you want to share the link.
On the desktop
- Go to Chat Settings and toggle Share on.
- Choose Share a link with the Group. On your screen, a list of shareable locations appears. Select the location where you want to share the link.
Anyone who receives the link can join the group once it is sent. Toggle Share off to disable the share link.
How to join or rejoin an existing group in GroupMe
To join a group
For you to join a group you must first be invited. Anyone in the group can add you to the group using the app, or they can send you a share link.
To rejoin a group
If you left the group and want to rejoin, go to Archive and then Rejoin on the group you want to join.
If you were removed from the group, only members of the group can re-add you.
How to add new members to an existing group in GroupMe
Select the avatar then Members in the group chat you want to add people to.
- Click the + plus icon (or Add Members), then enter the names, emails, or phone numbers of the people you want to add.
- Select the person’s name to add them to the group, then tap the Checkmark (or done).
You can also invite the person to join the group by sending them a share link.
How to Remove Someone From a Group in GroupMe
- Select the group’s avatar, then Members, in the group you want to edit.
- Hover over the member you want to remove in the web version and click Remove. Tap on the person you want to remove in the app, then select Remove from list.
- Select the three dots icon and tap Remove members, then select the members you want to remove and tap Remove.
When you remove a user, they will be unable to rejoin the group unless someone else invites them back in.
How to leave or end a group in GroupMe
- Choose the group from which you want to depart.
- Tap the avatar of the group in the upper right corner, or swipe left from the right side of the screen.
- Select Settings, and then scroll to the bottom of the page and select Leave Group.
The words End Group appear because you created the group. If you select End Group, the group will be deleted completely.
You can rejoin a group at any time if you leave it.
Direct Message (DM) in GroupMe
You can send a private message to another GroupMe user by sending a Direct Message (DM).
To send a Direct Message:
- Select Contacts from the main menu.
- Choose who you want to DM.
- Type and send the message.
You can also send a direct message from a mutual group:
- Choose the group’s avatar.
- Select Members
- Select person’s avatar you want to DM, and then choose Direct Message. You will be taken to a private chat with this user.
Please keep in mind that SMS users cannot participate in Direct Messages.
GroupMe – Failed to add members
Don’t be concerned if you tried to add someone to a group and received the message ‘*Name cannot be added.’
Here are some possible solutions that should assist you in adding your friends to a group. If one of them does not work, try another.
Restart the device.
To access the Restart option, press and hold the power button. To restart your phone, press the Restart button. Allow it to restart. Relaunch the GroupMe app and try to add a member again.
Refresh the app.
The most common solution appears to be simply returning to the app’s main (conversations) page and refreshing it.
Simply swipe downward to refresh the page. The page should now reload.
Return to that group. A notification should appear informing you that the person has been invited. Copy the provided link and send it to the person.
Share the group link
If you still can’t add the person after they’ve used the download link, try inviting them to your group. To send the group invite link, open the GroupMe app and select the appropriate group.
Now, tap on the three dots in the upper right corner.
Click the ‘Share group’ button. Select the app you want to use to send out the group invite.
When the person receives the invitation, they can click on it to join your group.
Make use of the website.
If you don’t have your phone, you can still access your GroupMe groups through the GroupMe website.
To add a member via the website, first log in with your GroupMe credentials. Choose the group to which you want to add the person.
Click on the group’s name at the top of the page, then on ‘Members.’
Click ‘Add Members,’ and then select the user from your contacts.
Check to see if the individual has left the group.
GroupMe does not allow you to add users who have left a group back into that same group. While users who left can always return, they cannot be added back by someone else.
If you try to add someone who has left that group, you will receive a message informing you that adding that person is not permitted. If the person who left wants to rejoin, they can do so by going to Archive > Groups you’ve left. Tap the group and choose ‘Rejoin.’
If you need to use GroupMe urgently and none of the features listed above are working, the hard reset of your device is your last option for resolving the problem.
Yes, it is a painful option because resetting the device deletes everything on your phone and requires you to reinstall all apps that did not come preinstalled. You will also need to reinstall the phone and apps. Also, make sure to back up everything you can.
How do I delete my GroupMe account?
To delete your GroupMe account, follow these steps.
- To open your profile, click your avatar (profile picture), then click the pencil Edit button.
- Choose the Delete GroupMe Account option.
If you do not control any groups:
- A final confirmation screen is displayed.
- Choose Delete.
- You are no longer logged in to GroupMe, and your account has been marked for deletion.
Before deleting your account, if you are the owner of a group, you must transfer ownership or end the group:
- Select Transfer, then on the next screen, choose a new owner from the list.
- Select Transfer, then choose a new owner from the member list or End Group on the next screen.
- Select Delete GroupMe Account once more.
- Enter your password to confirm your desire to delete your account, then click Continue.
- Choose Delete. You have been logged out of GroupMe, and your account is about to be deleted.
If you decide not to delete your account, you have 48 hours to reactivate it.
To cancel the account deletion, click the link in the confirmation email or SMS we sent you, or simply log back into GroupMe.
If you do not restore your account within 48 hours, it will be deleted and you will not be able to recover it.
Disadvantages of GroupMe
- It weakens our phone batteries.
- There is nothing more annoying than receiving over 100 text messages that have nothing to do with you.
- Notifications are delivered via the app as well as regular text messages.
- It exposes us to the risk of sending the incorrect message to the wrong people.
What is GroupMe used for?
It is a free app for group messaging. It’s a simple way to communicate with friends and family.
Even your friends who do not have smartphones can join; simply add anyone from your address book and they will be able to chat with the group right away. GroupMe is available for Android, allowing you to stay in touch while on the go.
Is GroupMe a cheating app?
Students use it to organize a small study group that will meet in the library to work on an assignment. According to the Dean of Students, collaborative efforts on assignments are considered cheating. The virtual equivalent is sending or discussing assignment answers in a class GroupMe.
Is GroupMe like WhatsApp?
WhatsApp and GroupMe are popular messaging apps. GroupMe and WhatsApp are popular messaging apps that allow people to communicate privately and in groups. Both apps are available on iOS, Android, and online, and they have a large user base.
Is it a safe app?
Unlike some safer, encrypted chat apps, it lacks an end-to-end encryption protocol. This means that GroupMe representatives could theoretically read your conversations if they needed to or were ordered to do so by the government.
Is it anonymous?
To answer the question directly, yes, these polls are anonymous. Whether this is a good or bad solution will be debated further in the future. What matters is that you will undoubtedly hear the group’s opinion on the subject at hand.
Why is it so popular?
While it isn’t as popular as international apps like WhatsApp and WeChat, GroupMe is appealing because it works on any device and users don’t even need the app to use GroupMe’s features. You can communicate with your groups and share photos and videos via SMS.
How do I change my phone number in GroupMe?
- Choose your avatar (profile picture).
- Choose the pencil Edit button, then Change your Phone Number.
- Change the number.
- Enter your new phone number, then click Send PIN and follow the on-screen prompts.
How do I change my GroupMe email address?
- On your computer, launch GroupMe.
- Choose your avatar (profile picture), then click the Edit button at the top of the screen.
- Choose your current email address, delete it, and replace it with your new email address
- When you’re finished, click out of the email address field.
How do I verify my phone number if I did not receive a pin?
If you did not receive a PIN, follow these steps to verify your number:
Continue to use the GroupMe app on the PIN screen. If you repeat the registration process, it will generate a new PIN, which may be confusing.
Please contact support if you are having trouble receiving your PIN. Please include your phone number.
How do I block and unblock a contact?
To block a contact:
- Click the Contacts button.
- Choose Block after selecting the contact you want to block.
- Select Block in the confirmation window.
To unblock a contact:
- Select Contacts from the Contacts button.
- To find the blocked contacts, scroll to the bottom of your contact list.
- Select the contact, then Unblock and confirm.
GroupMe is a fun, efficient, and user-friendly way to chat with your friends, organize game nights, and hangouts. Users who do not have the app can still join your groups and participate in interesting discussions with the rest of the team. However, they will most likely find it easier to simply install the app.
However, when it comes to advanced team collaboration and, more importantly, safety, GroupMe has some significant limitations.